December 30, 2008



Friday I went to the New Museum to see Elizabeth Peyton show which I
wanted to go for so long, but at last I could find a time just a couple of days before the show ends.
Actually I won't talk about the show.. you should see it that's what I can say.
All I want to talk about is the weird things that's keep happening.. or the little surprises of life
which makes me smile when I think of (despite they might have made me cry at various times).
After the show in the bookstore.. or the museum store, whatever.. there was a book which surprised us. The guy who is with me was talking about his friends who are mentioned in the book especially the one on the cover and the ones that died.
And I was struck by seeing the name of a fan-zine.. and the guy who created it. How close we were..
and even I was the Izmit and Pelin was the Izmir correspondents of the fanzine for a couple of issues.
We were at highschool and he has just begun to university. He used to put my name or name me like "rose of Izmit", such names.. scattered here and there in between the lines or drawings with small fonts. Finding them in those earlier issues was pleasure..
And once he had sent me a G N' R tshirt knowing that's my favourite as a birthday gift or I'm not sure.. besides other millions of things sent between each other. . which I wore just a couple of times because one time I got so drunk, we were at Pelin's.. and I'd thrown out. Then being washed the prints of the tshirt also faded away.. I was so sad and so angry.
We even had plans of moving in together if I had gone to an university in Istanbul. But I had chosen Izmir.
The book doesn't mention his name at least his real name, but the other guy the co-creator /co-producer. It's funny we are here in a museum at the other side of the world looking at a book and the guy with me also had known him.
The world is small and I have so many little stories like this to tell.
(By the way the book was expensive so we could not buy it.)
Please check it out;
'An Interrupted History of Punk and Underground Resources in Turkey 1978-1999'



3 comments:

  1. Bir dakika ben şimdi Türkçe yorum yazamayacagim buraya. Vay be demek istiyorum, kitap çok da kalın gözüküyor, hemen alacagim. Bu arada kitabın editörlerinden birinin adı sana tanıdık geldi mi ? Bizim Angel's Dick'e kız adıyla mektuplar yazıyordu adam meger babaannesinin adını kullanıyormus, deli mi ne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :))) gercekten mi? unutmusum bak ben de onu.. dur bakalim daha neler cikacak :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find this bloody book !

    ReplyDelete